Friday, November 30, 2007

Chrysanthemum in Kyoto

Chrysanthemum in Kyoto
Chrysanthemum, Kiku(菊) in Japanese, is at bloom in November and many houses in Kyoto put this flower at their entrance to decorate them.

By the way, this flower reminds us of the Emperior. One of the old Emperiors, Gotoba-Tennou, about 800 years ago used the flower as his emblem by choice. After that, this has been used as the emblem of the Emperior. Now this flower, as well as cherry blossom, Sakura(桜) in Japanese, is used as something of a national flower. For example, it is printed on the surface of Japanese passport and carved on the badge of Diet members.

5 Comments:

At 12/01/2007 12:12 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

Beautiful flower, and interesting that the flower decorates house entrances and is also a historical emblem.

 
At 12/01/2007 5:38 AM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Gorgeous kiku!

The New York Botanical Garden had a special exhibition recently on chrysanthemum like this. I didn't go to the show but I saw the advertisements for it.

 
At 12/01/2007 10:22 AM, Blogger julia said...

Wonderful. These are special around May time here

 
At 12/01/2007 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice!

I seldom see them in Pink that's so nice.

 
At 12/01/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Diane Dehler said...

This is beautiful! Chrysanthemums are my favorite flowers and I posted some on my blog tonight. I also have a bronze statue posted, that I thought might be a FU dog but now I think it isn't. Could you have a look and give me your opinion? If you don't know, do you know someone who might? It's very, very old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home