Friday, February 02, 2007

Udon, a Japanese noodle

Udon, Kyoto sightseeing
This is Udon, a kind of Japanese noodle made from flour, with shrimp Tempura. Shrimp Tempura is the most popular food for Udon. We can eat it at standing bars, attached with stations. Many stations have such standing bar and we can also eat Soba, a kind of noodle made from buckwheat.

By the way, Udon in western Japan, including Kyoto and Osaka, differs from the one in eastern Japan, including Tokyo. The difference of the taste mainly comes from the difference of Dashi, soup stock. The soup stock in eastern Japan is mainly extracted from dried kelp or dried small fish; the one in western Japan is boiled and dried bonito fish. By the way, Ben, Nelson Daily Photo, know much better about Daishi and miso soup.

As is very interesting, people in Tokyo also like Udon in eastern way very much but many people in Osaka or Kyoto don't like the one in western way.

Most people in Japan said that most of foods in western Japan tend to be more delicious than those in eastern. I partly agree with this and prefer Udon in western Japan way.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2/02/2007 11:27 PM, Blogger balakumar said...

Dear Macky San,

ogenki desu ka :)

I am Balakumar Muthu from India have a great passion with Japan and also studying Japanese language, just landed in your blog. Very nice posts and photos about Japan. I love them and will be checking your blog regularly.

Omedetou.

Stay in touch.

 
At 2/03/2007 5:09 AM, Blogger Oya said...

Hi there. Very nice blog and a lot information about your culture. One day I will come there and taste your food myself. Greetings from Istanbul.

 
At 2/03/2007 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi macky, interesting post.
I was sad not to be able to eat ramen when i was in western japan as it was everywhere (I do not eat meat... including fish). I did not realize that there ramen made with kelp stock even existed. When I make it back to japan I'll have to search it out!

 
At 2/03/2007 5:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

balakumar, oya and mike c
thank you for the comments:-))
mike c: Udon and ramen is a little different. Ramen soup stock largely differ from shops and is made of several kinds of foods. Pieces of chicken bones is popular with stock of ramen.

 
At 2/07/2007 6:49 PM, Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Hehe Macky,
Tokyo style is using Soy-source the colour of soup is always dark opposed to the clear and delicate dashi soup in Kyoto. I had quite salty one in Osaka way way back... I'm not sure where is the origin for miso based udon.

I think soba is more popular in West and udon in east. ( I might be wrong....)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home