Monday, October 09, 2006

A traditional house

Shugakuin Imperial Villa, Kyoto sightseeing
I took the photo from outside the house.

This is the simple house in an ex-aristocratic villa, designed for summer vacation and it was not used in winter. The house is separated from outside only by sliding doors and windows, made of thin paper and wooden frames.

Any air conditioners is not installed in this house but cool breeze from the breathing trees around pleasantly passes through the rooms. This kind of houses can take in more breeze than the modern houses do. Because they have a large window and their wooden walls are thinner. It is natural and earth-friendly air conditioners.
Location by Google Map

6 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Jing said...

:)
Simple is the best.I think thats what I want to say about this photo!!
And yes, natural stuffs are what I prefer to choose!!
nice shot!!
...Jing

 
At 10/09/2006 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this idea... but wouldn't the house be full of bugs from outside?

 
At 10/10/2006 12:36 PM, Blogger Denton said...

This is an interesting photo, explanation, and concept. I have to admit it is very foreign to my way to thinking. The closest I have came to something like this would be to open spaces in the hotel lobbies in Hawaii.

 
At 10/10/2006 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture remindes me times, when I was teaching a geography of Japan. I found a picture like yours and every pupil drew it on their notebook.
Thanks for sharing this photo!

 
At 10/10/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

thank you for your nice comments!

jing: actually wood, tatami mats and papers of sliding doors can function as dehumidifier and humidifier. When it is rainy day, they can contain some moisture in the air. When sunny, they can, in turn, emit the moisture to the air. They are very nice materials.

mike c: Unfortunately, a few bugs came into my grandmother's old house:-) While staying there as a boy, I was not able to sleep soundly because of them. ..

denton: the traditonal wooden houses in Japan have been designed to avoid terrible humidity, so they were open. If they were not open, the humidity in summer would make them go bad more earlier. That's why the wooden house was very open. But it is very cold in winter...

mimmu: It is very surprising that people in Finland know Japanese house! I prefer this kind of houses, but they are not popular. Because it has no privacy and very cold in winter...

 
At 10/11/2006 3:30 AM, Blogger ~tanty~ said...

It looks very inviting to relaxing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home